Friday, September 18, 2009

Art First! was The Soundtrack of Our Life

This morning I did art first and then cleaned the kitchen and it was wonderful. Why don't I do this more often?

The Quotes are from The Presence Process by Michael Brown the two in orange are:


Although we may not know where we are going right now or how to get there, there is and aspect of our Being that does know. There is an aspect of our Being that knows everything.


A joyful, abundant, and healthy life is pouring itself upon us in each moment. When we "live in time", the vessel that we are is turned upside down. We, therefore, spend our life experience getting instead of receiving.


Jazz joined me and made here own artwork with poems and quotes she likes.




I'm inspired today to post about the Soundtrack of our life--what we listen to. Today it was Putumayo's Acoustic Brazil and Lila Down's Tree of Life. Often, as today, if we're absorbed in something, I'll listen to one album several times. Yesterday, the mood for me was Meditative Gregorian Chants.

I like Gospel music, spiritual music of many traditions, Jazz esp non-traditional, world and ethnic music and more. Jasmine likes most of the previous but sometimes gets bored with the spiritual music. She also really likes classical music especially ballets, musicals, and anything with a great rhythm. Lately she has been into The Nutcracker and Jazz for Kids: Sing, Clap, Wiggle, and Shake.

We also listen to spoken word albums. I have taped myself reading several books including Byron Katie's A Thousand Names for Joy, Michael Road's Talking with Nature and Journey into Nature, Kenny Werner's Effortless Mastery and parts of Abraham-Hicks books, A Course in Miracles etc. I listen to these when I am cleaning or cooking. For the most part, Jasmine enjoys these tapes and sometimes even asks for them.

We sometimes listen to books on CD, especially when we clean together. The last one was The Wizard of Earthsea and The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula le Guin and upcoming The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain.


Today I met the muse for the first time while playing the piano. I don't know how to explain it except that I felt an actual presence of an energy I would describe as the Muse. It was exciting for me because it is exactly the kind of thing I would love to have happen, but I wasn't expecting or even hoping for it. It just came out of the blue. Ain't life great!


Jasmine has built a house with chairs and sheets in the dining room and today I found her in it teaching one of her girls to read.


And in the Living Foods department--More Fun Things to Eat.

This week I've been playing with some new things. We are getting lots of green peppers and onions in our CSA share so I slice them thin and mix with lime, date paste, chili powder, and salt and dehydrate until soft and then store in fridge to add to salads or other things.

Local greens are still hard to come by, but Nina brings me back arugula and collard greens from the farmer's market in Phoenix. Believe it or not, collard leaves make an excellent wraps. I've been filling them with Guacamole, living salsa, and the pepper-onion mix OR with the following filling: diced apples and green tomatoes, fresh basil, lime, garam masala, date paste, and salt.

This filling is also excellent in green apple coconut wraps--if I don't eat them all first. They are made by throwing apples, mature coconut, lime, a bit of chia seeds, and a pinch of salt in blender and then dehydrating.

I also made my first batch of living spaghetti, with partial dehydrated tomatoes, fresh basil and oregano, onion, garlic, date paste, apple cider vinegar, and salt and served it over pasta made from zucchini. It was so good that I called up Nina, our CSA coordinator, and volunteered to do a raw food demonstration for them as soon as we are getting tomatoes and summer squash. I am definately hooked.

Corn chips have been a big staple of mine whenever we are getting corn in our CSA share. I usually do a batch with about 3 cups of fresh corn off the cob and add lime, chili powder, salt and a tomato if I have one. This week I made the best batch of corn chips yet, by adding an apple and an avocado. They were so delicious that I polished them off before I could share with anyone, and now corn is out of season for another month or so.

And with my non-local cauliflower I made raw popcorn to die for. Just cut up cauliflower into small pieces and add olive oil, nutritional yeast, spirulina, and salt. Then sit down and enjoy.

No comments: