Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Shopping in the City

Today we went to the city--Tucson--to go shopping. I've always had a love affair with mountains and usually where ever I live there is a mountain I am totally in love with. Here in Arizona it is Baboquivari Peak. This is the sacred mountain for the Tohono O'odham people and I can totally understand why. In order to get to Tucson, we cross the O'odham reservation and pass Baboquivari Peak. Today the summer poppies were in full bloom from our recent rains. I have a thing for these poppies also and was in total heaven.


Baboquivari Peak--ain't she a beauty....


...and summer poppies. What more could a girl ask for.

And while I was admiring mountains and flowers, Jasmine was enjoying her most favorite book on CD, Suzanne Fisher Staple's Shiva's Fire.

We had a lovely time shopping and playing in the city. And, oh my word, am I going to have to binge on veggies for a while. I bought organic but not local or in season kale, cauliflower, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, celery, and peaches and stocked up on frozen fruit. Local Gala apples were on sale and so I bought 15 pounds.

On the way home we listened to my favorite program on the local community radio station, Onda Suave, which just happens to air on Wednesday evenings. It's a Latin Jazz program and this evening, the host did a short interview with a home boy who made it big in the Latin Jazz scene. Unfortunately, I do not remember his name but I had an interesting experience while listening to the interview. The host asked the musician about the support for his music he had received as a child. I imagined myself supported as a child and got a vision of how different my life would be today. It was magical. And then, of course, realized that I now need to give myself that kind of support.

Later on the drive I realized my purpose-- "to open to the depths and watch joyfully as the beauty unfolds". This is something Arnold Patent talks about in his book--defining your purpose in a short phrase or sentence and then repeating it often. I absolutely adore this purpose and if I remember to say it often, I can imagine how much fuller and more beautiful my life will be. Long drives often bring new realizations to me. Thank you for these.

No comments: