Sunday, September 6, 2009

Friends and rainwater

My mom's house is in the historic district of town and for some reason no families with children live here. Several monthes ago, Elizabeth (age 7 just like Jasmine) and her family moved in a block away. Lately Jazz and Elizabeth have been spending a lot of time together on weekends.

Elizabeth's family is quite different than our--a lot of media and not much else--and she used to get bored really quickly at our house and want to go home. Lately however she is enjoying all kinds of new experiences with us including playing with chickens, going to the library and getting her very own library card, going to paint murals, going to the public swimming pool, and climbing trees. A whole new world is opening up for Elizabeth and Jasmine has a playmate that lives close by.

I finished taping Arnold Patent's You can Have It All. I can't say enough about this book. I am so grateful that it entered my life, that I had the idea to tape it, and that I can listen to it often.

And again I can't say enough about Arnold Patent's book, You Can Have It All. Beg, borrow, steal if need be, but get this book. Or do as I did and order it through Interlibrary Loan at your Local Library and read it into a tape recorder and then listen to it often.

This evening Jasmine went off to a sleepover at Elizabeth's house and I decided to work on one of my latest projects--actually a somewhat on-going project. Last winter, I wanted to give a set of talks at the local library on sustainable design. To this end, I started creating some Power Point presentations. Thanks to Brad Lancaster, author of Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond Vols 1 & 2, and his website http://www.rainwaterharvesting.com/, I have developed a fairly complete slide show on passive rainwater harvesting. A few days ago, a friend showed me around the Ajo Community Garden and I realized they could really use this particular presentation. So now I'm completing that slideshow. In this process I found a couple of videos that give a great overview of using earthworks to collect rainwater.












May you enjoy an A-bun-dance of water--free, beautiful, healthy rainwater.

No comments: