Monday, September 21, 2009

International Day of Peace

International Day of Peace is a big event in Ajo due to one woman's efforts, Mimi Phillips. This year I contributed little to the effort as my focus has been creating peace in my own mind. But Jasmine and I helped paint the Peace Day mural last month and I helped with the solar oven demo yesterday and today I spent an hour and half painting children's faces at an after-school festival. I was reluctant to go and wished I hadn't committed to it but once I got started I loved it and wouldn't have missed it for the world. Painting faces is an intimate experience and I enjoyed getting to know some of Ajo's children a bit better.

The Peace Parade started from the after-school festival at the school and wound its way to the Plaza. The parade included several large peace doves and many desert creatures. Groups from Sonoita, Mexico and the Tohono O'odham nation participated.
Kenya Masala, who later led a drum circle with 200 drums, leading a group
in front of a giant peace dove from the O'odham Nation.

Women from Sonoita, Mexico carrying a headress later used in by a
high school Aztec Dance group from Sonoita.
A desert tortoise

Crows in the shadow of a giant peace dove.


Upon arriving at the plaza a festival commenced. Jasmine's Folklorico group danced.


Other acts included Native American Basket Dancers, an amazing Aztec dancing by a group from the high school in Sonoita (the little town across the border in Mexico), a community drumming circle, the high school band from Sonoita, and a Hispanic musical group. And through it all wandered stiltwalkers from Flam Chen, out of Tuscon.

Flam Chen stiltwalkers

The evening ended on a perfectly peaceful note. Our local utility company is replacing and moving waterlines in our part of town and last week the construction crew came through our yard. One of the workers enjoyed our garden telling me it reminded him of his grandfather's garden in Mexico. He wanted to give me some heirloom seeds from that garden. Tonight as we left the festival he ran up to let me know he had left some seeds for me in my mailbox.

Heirloom seeds from Mexico--Fava beans and some sort of pea

No comments: