Thursday, May 28, 2009

Making Pizza Box Solar Ovens

I've been taking our solar oven to festivals in Ajo and demonstrating how to cook in one. A couple of weeks ago, my friend Betsy, asked if I would do some kind of solar oven demo with her boys. Since some people in my homeschool group are also interested in learning more about sustainablity, I agreed to teach the homeschool group and Betsy and her boys how to make a solar oven out of a pizza box. I saw this video of You Tube several months ago on how to make a pizza box solar oven.


Ever since I watched this, I've been meaning to make one and show it at my solar oven demonstrations, but other things took precedence this spring (see Garden Mania). So I was excited about giving it a shot.

I'm explaining the construction details with our group.

Building pizza box solar ovens

A row of solar ovens cooking English muffin pizzas.


My only, but blurry, picture of eating the goodies.

Our solar ovens got up to 200 degrees, hot enough to melt cheese but it would be nice to play around and see if it could get hotter. This week, I'll try painting the outside of the oven black to see if that makes a difference

No comments: