Thursday, May 21, 2009

What is unschooling?

I unschool my daughter or as I prefer to say she learns naturally. So what is it-this unschooling or natural learning? Well for now, I'll just link to some excellent articles and posts. Also see my post Writings that have Influenced my Homeschool Journey.


"Unschooling is a sort of natural learning process which allows a child to learn because he is curious. I find that I can arouse curiosity in my kids if I do it carefully and not force it on their strong willed selves. I am their encourager but learning is up to them really. I say, "Wow, cool. I wonder why...?" And sooner or later they start doing it themselves. We don't have to teach them to be curious, just how to follow up on it. Unschooling is not sitting down in a classroom setting with books and paper and writing a report about butterflies. It's more like seeing the butterfly outside in the garden and watching its movements, and wondering how those wings work and what the butterfly is doing on the flowers and why he likes them so much and what other kinds of butterflies there are, etc. -- whether you are
studying butterflies in your science book or not."
.
--Nancy on www.tumon.com/porchswing/unschooling.html


What is Unschooling?

The Decision to Unschool

The (Un)Importance of Curricula

Living and Learning as a Father in an Unschooling Family


Jasmine writing her first novel while Mom works in the garden

Here's a couple of quotes from Christian Unschooling: Growing our Children in the Freedom of Christ by Teri J Brown with Elissa M Wahl that spoke to me.

By allowing our children to flourish at home, learning from the great minds of men and women who have gone before us, I believe their lives will be enriched, their hearts enlarged and their world touched by their dedicated lives, I want my children to feast their hearts, souls, and minds on fine literature, awe-inspiring art, majestic music and great thoughts. I want them to learn how to think--not just learn to pass a test. I want them to be prepared spiritually, intellectually, morally and academically to pursue whole heartedly whatever passion God laid on their hearts for the future, whether in the field of medicine, art, missions or homemaking. I believe a natural approach to education and life will accomplish many of these goals. And that's what I want for my children.

--Deborah Taylor-Hough (in Christian Unschooling: Growing Your Children in the Freedom of Christ by Teri J Brown with Elissa M Wahl)

Not long ago I went to the doctor for some tests. No treatment was needed, but let's say it was. One form of treatment meant drinking a glass of liquid that tasted much like a chocolate milkshake. A second form of treatment meant receiving a nice back massage from my wife. The third treatment would require surgery and weeks of painful recovery. Then my doctor tells me that he is prescribing the surgery. I ask why? Is it more effective? "No, actually it is less effective."

"Then why are you prescring the surgery?" I hypothetically demanded.

"See, I am a Christian," he replies. "Even though the other two treatments are more effective, they are also more enjoyable. They won't provide you the opportunity to learn to deal wih pain. So I am preseribing the painful surgery. You may not get well, but you will learn to deal with pain."

What would I do? I would quickly find another doctor. I would tell all my friends to avoid him too. "Don't go near him. He wants me to do the most painful thing even when enjoyable treatments ar more effective. And he says he is doing so because he is a Christian. He isn't a Christian. He's a madman."

--James Muncy (in Christian Unschooling...)

While this passage is aimed at Christian who believe that forced learning is "good" for their children and helps build character or some other such nonsense, it could just as easily be applied to most people in our culture.

No comments: