Thursday, June 11, 2009

Another Field Trip

Ajo CSA invited our homeschool group as guests during the member's summer farm day. I'm already a member, and only one other family was able to make it. But between the two groups we took a full van load to Phoenix. Farmer Frank and the gang invited us to pick veggies in the fields. The kids--and adults--had loads of fun. I brought home tomatoes, corn, and a spaghetti squash. They fed us a great meal. And then we all headed over the the Saturday Downtown Farmer's Market. I'm still learning to remember to take pictures. I wish I had a better selection but here goes.



The youngest member of our group eating corn fresh from the field.



They made us wheat berry pancakes (we get wheat berries in our CSA shares).


Great Food!!!

Roasted corn

Eating in the fields

...And then onto the downtown farmer's market. We arrived 15 before it ended, but I still had time to buy a few things. Because I trying to eat more locally, I wanted to pick up some local dates, goat cheese, olive oil, and greens. And hopefully pecans. I did find dates and goat cheese and even some greens. The season for greens is almost completely over here. I found some beautiful sorrel and some flat leaf parsley--prob the last of the season. I was too late for olive oil (from the Queen's Creek Olive Mill) But I bought these beautiful flowers. Yeah!!!!!

No comments: