Thursday, June 11, 2009

It's been all about Food

Wow I haven't posted in a while. Well I forgot my password but...well..
Actually, it's partly a photo problem. I'm not in the habit of taking pictures of things we're doing and if I don't have photos I won't post. Just the way it is.
I live with my mom and cook for her. She's a busy physician and enjoys being taken care of and I can stay home and homeschool my daughter. She went to China for three weeks and one of my projects while she was gone was playing with some raw food recipes. Without her to cook for I had time to concentrate on the diet I want for my self. Never heard of a raw food-or living food diet? Here's a basic article WHY SWITCH TO A LIVING FOODS DIET

I now realize vibrant health, mental and spiritual clarity is our birthright and I want that for myself. And living foods are the way to that goal. My goal right now is 80% living foods. I still cook the potatoes, onions, eggplants, and green beans I get from my garden or CSA share.

My mom got an excalibur dehydrator--the cadilac of dehydrators beloved by the raw food community-- for the peach harvest. I've been using it to process the peaches but also to play with some raw food treats.

My mom and sister, Jen, in China

After all the peaches, I was tired of drying and processing. But my friend Nina came over to dry some Mango (the good ones were in season--I purchased them at an Oriental Market in Phoenix). It was so much fun processing food together that I bought two more cases the next week. We have plans for more processing parties.
Results of the Mango Drying Party (on the bottom left are dried Chiogga Beets-a less than tasty experiment)

Making Raw Granola (sprouted buckwheat, coconut, sweetener of choice, I use date paste or agave syrup, and when in season grated apples. Here I added chopped apricot) One of my favorite--so far--raw treats.

This week I've been processing my haul (tomatoes, corn, and sweet potatoes) from the Farm Day at Crooked Sky Farm. See post Another Field Trip

Dried Tomatoes

And raw junk food!!! Two kinds of fresh Corn Chips (Lime Chile and Pesto) and Sweet Potatoes Chips. It just doesn't get any better.


Here in the desert Southwest, the season for greens is over. I found some beautiful looking Sorrel at the Farmer's Market, so....

A bounty of Goodness


The only thing my garden is producing prolifically is basil. And at Crooked Sky Farms- the CSA I belong to it's been potatoes. A staple lately has been Pesto Potato Salad. And now it's corn and tomato season at the farm (I'm a little behind in my garden) and so I get to add them.

Scraping the Bottom of the Bowl


A gourmet--to me--raw food meal. Of course I ate another plateful.

Well it's not all food. This is the only picture I took at our CSA's end of the season potluck. The food was lovely but I took a picture of Jasmine trying to comfort a member's 8-day old baby.



Jasmine is partipating in the spring postcard exchange through homeschoolpen-pals . The postcards have been trickling in and finally we sent ours out.


Putting on stamps

No comments: