Friday, June 19, 2009

An Abundance of Living Food

Look what I took out of the dehydrator this morning

Sweet Potato chips

and Granola Bars (sprouted buckwheat, dates, pineapple, coconut, and blueberries)


And out to the garden....

Amaranth in full bloom


We've haven't done well with tomatoes this spring but look....

A cluster of goodness


Jazz's sunflower's are growing...


...and being pollinated


The summer soltice is coming fast and I was looking online for inspiration in celebrating it. I would like to create meaningful celebrations for the soltices, and equinoxes. But most of the traditions don't make sense for the desert Southwest. Looking a little deeper, I realized this is the perfect time to celebrate the beginning of the Saguaro harvest. Here's links on the O'odham ways of celebrating : Saguaro Fruit, Saguaro Traditions of the Tohono O'odham

Summer soltice would be a good time to honor the saguaro. I like the idea of making a sundial with Jazzie. And we get our first melon from Crooked Sky Farms this week. And I get to watch it all unfold.
Being a locavore has led to me raiding a neighborhood tree for lemons. Citrus season is coming to an end. I juiced the last of the oranges today for tomorrow's trip to the swim meet in Tucson. And I had only one lemon left. For months I've been given lemons, and raided the lemon tree in the yard of my mom's rental house (she doesn't have renters in it now). For the last couple of weeks I've been eyeing a lemon tree down the block (it's owned by snowbirds who did not even come this winter). This afternoon it stormed and Jazzie wanted to take a walk so of course I suggested going to pick lemons. I picked all three of the lemons I could reach. Another snowbird neighbor has another kind of lemon tree which is now dropping a few of these smaller lemons. I haven't tasted them yet to see if they are good.
Friday evenings we pick up our produce share from Ajo CSA. Today Nina brought back extra produce I had ordered from the farm (sweet potatoes, tomatoes, corn, watermelon, and grapefruit). What an abundance of glorious fresh local produce.

No comments: