Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Season's First Swim Meet, Juneteenth

We left for Tucson early this morning to shop and go to Jazzie's swim meet. We hit some of our favorite Tucson haunts, 17th Street Market, Agua Vita, and Speedway Outlet.

Jean Craighead George was our travelling companion. We listened to her book The Talking Earth on tape and enjoyed it immensely.

The Swim Meet was fun and Jazz did better than she expected, getting 2nd place in the breast stroke. Yeah Jasmine!!!


Ready

Get Set

and Go!


On the way home we stopped at the Juneteenth Celebration at Kennedy Park. It was late and we had missed all the gospel groups. I absolutely love gospel music so in celebration of Juneteenth I've posted a few of my favorite gospel songs.
Lift Every Voice and Sing is the black national anthem and I cry every time I sing it or hear it. This is an awesome version with Dianna Reeves. It takes a few minutes before she gets into the song and it is absolutely gorgeous.


Precious Lord, Take My Hand is my favorite gospel songs. I've always loved it and after I learned Thomas Dorsey wrote this song after his wife and child died, I wondered if I have such an affinity for this song because I, too, have had a child die. Here Aretha Franklin sings it. It's not the best sound quality but it's Aretha.



His Eye is on the Sparrow is another favorite of mine. It's sung here by an absolutely amazing 7 year old girl, Imani Bradford.


No comments: