Friday, June 19, 2009

Many Movies

Going out in the garden is fun. I keep finding melons I didn't know were there.

And new flowers are blooming.

Jasmine is attending a summer camp through parks and rec here. I'm still recovering and spent the day on the computer doing some grunt work for some posts I hope to do someday and catching up on the Phoenix Permaculture Guild site--which I love. I watched three movies about food--I am glad I am committed to this local movement because I want to support the food industry as little as possible. If you want a reason to eat local sustainable food watch these and find out what the chemical industry has in store for us.








I can't seem to figure out how to post google videos, but I will link to them.

Vandana Shiva on The Future of Food and Seed

Paul Roberts on The End of Food


Jazz and I stopped by the library on the way home from camp. We had 5 new Families of the World movies to pick up (Mexico, Egypt, Israel, Japan, and Australia). Although we live in a small town, we are part of the Tucson-Pima County library system, so can reserve any book from that system and they bring it out here. It's great having a big city library system in a small town. We spent some time browsing and reading in the children's non-fiction area. Jazz found a book on the presidents that was absolutely fascinating. I'll check it out sometime when we have a few less books out. Of course we just had to watch some Families of the World. I cut up sweet potatoes to make the most awesome sweet potato chips (sweet potatoes cut on a Mandoline with a little olive oil and sea salt dried in the dehydrator) and Jazz painted a box she bought at Michael's while we watched. We ended up watching all five (each one is 30 min) and crashing to bed with more Mind of the Raven.

No comments: