Thursday, October 22, 2009

Allowing music and dance

Exercise is easily entering into the rhythm of my life and I am so glad. It was past time. Today I jogged/walked around the park a few times after our homeschool group met and this evening danced Gabrielle Roth's 5 Rhythms. I haven't done this in so long and it was wonderful. The 5 Rhythms are Flowing, Stacatto, Chaos, Lyrical, and Stillness. Dancing these 5 rhythms in that order is always an amazing experience. I feel so refreshed, alive, and lighter when I'm done. At times in the past, I danced them often. I also play the rhythms on the piano or guitar, which is extremely freeing. I haven't done that in a while either. Here's some clips so you can experience it a bit:








I just found out a friend of mine here is into dancing the 5 Rhythms and there's this lovely space to dance just a block away at the Curley School (a historic old school remodeled as artist live/work apartments) that hardly gets used. I'm going to see if I can get something going. And Jasmine loves dancing the rhythms, too. Yes, thank you. It's lovely when our interests intersect.

I've been hoping music would enter the rhythm of my life easily also. And I guess it is in a way. I've been drawn to read Hazrat Inayat Khan's Music. It is confirming for me what I want out of playing music. I've always been drawn to playing music, but I don't have the natural talent of hearing a piece of music and playing it. I've always improvised, allowing the music to just flow. I love doing it, it is so healing although shutting off my inner critic sometimes is not so easy. BUT--and it's a big but--I have never thought of myself as a musician or having any musical talent because I don't play songs. AND I've always yearned to be a musician or take my music more seriously. AND because I don't take my passion seriously, I think it's a "waste of time" to play.

Lately, I've been realizing that maybe the reason I don't have anatural talent for playing songs I hear is that is not the type of music I'm to play. And truth be told, even though I prefer playing the soundscapes I do, I could easily get caught up in the world of playing songs. It's probably--OK, most certainly--just the way it's supposed to be.

I've also been reading, realizing, and accepting that playing improvised music is the perfect thing for me to do. The Hazrat Inayat Khan book is so meaingful to me right now and isn't it amazing that it's been on my bookshelf for something like 4 years and I never read it until now. Here's another fabulous piece I read today from Hazrat Inayat Khan's Music:

The music of the universe is the background of the small picture which we call music. Our sense of music, our attracion to music, shows that there is music in the depth of our being. Music is behind the working of the whole universe. Music is not only life's greatest object, but it is life itself. Hafiz, the great and wonderful Sufi poet of Persia, says, "Many say that life entered the human body by the help of music, but the truth is that life itself is music". What made him say this? He referred to a legend which exists in the East and which tells how God made a statue of clay in His own image, and asked the soul to enter into it; but the soul refused to be imprisioned, for its nature is to fly about freely and not to be limited and bound to any sort of capacity. The soul did not wish in the least to enter this prison. Then God asked the angels to play their music, and as the angels played the soul was moved to ecstasy, and through that ecstasy in order to make the music more clear to itself, it entered this body. And it is told that Hafiz said, "People say that the soul, on hearing that song, entered the body; but in reality the soul itself was song!"

...this legend reveals to us...that the only reason why the soul has entered the body of clay or matter is to experience the music of life, and make this music clear to itself.

Really, I thought it was to worry about getting the house clean. LOL

A magical moment I want to share from our homeschool park day--the three teenage girls spontaneously organized games for the younger children. Here they are playing Red Rover, Red Rover.



....and sometimes a girl's just has to dress up as a medival princess.

No comments: