Friday, October 9, 2009

Living our Truth

Today we finished the sequel to Stargirl-- Love, Stargirl. We both liked this one even better. Stargirl is homeschooled. In Stargirl, she goes to public school and experiences the idiocy of the social scene with grace and aplomb, but in Love, Stargirl she's back to homeschooling.

Jasmine likes to study deeply human nature and the whys and whats and hows of people's behavior. The themes of fitting in and being true to oneself, conformity and individuality have been big for Jasmine this year. Stargirl and Love, Stargirl definitely dive deeply into these topics and she adored them.

She also requested that I read her Max Lucado's You are Special and If Only I had a Green Nose. Both these books deal with how to be true to oneself in a culture that encourages conformity.

I'm rereading Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Homescale Permaculture and learning things I didn't on my last reading. This is a simply amazing book; if you garden or think you might want to garden someday, read it. I'm preparing for a series of three 1 hr talks I'm going to do on sustainability.... and researching Shakespeare movies to order for Jazz from the library and of course playing with living food. And through it all, I'm still "shoulding" on myself, thinking I "should" be cleaning the back patio instead. Is this true? Or could I possibly be true to what is calling me in the moment? YES, that's a resounding Y-E-S.

And on the same theme....We attended an incredible library program with musician Mark Holdaway this afternoon. This guy is absolutely passionate about the Kalimba and inspired the whole audience with his passion and love of what he does. He plays and sells kalimbas and teaches others who want to learn at Kalimba Magic. It was wonderful to see the effect of someone being true to themselves and their passion on others. Jazz is ready to buy a kalimba.


Mark Holdaway after program with instruments (picture by Jazz)

Audience members can't wait to touch these beautiful instruments
(picture by Jazz)

No comments: