Sunday, July 26, 2009

I'm back

Jazz's swim meet went well--she came within a second of winning the IM-- and we came back from Tucson with a case of young Thai coconuts (I've really been craving them) and lots of collaging stuff.





The electricity went out last Sunday afternoon and didn't come on again until Tuesday morning. As the lows were about 90 and the highs close to 110 it was an experience. We hosed off the porch on Monday morning as it needed cleaning after chickens and some construction work on the street in front of house. We then turned on the mister and sat and enjoyed playing UNO until the mail lady came by and told us it could be up to 7 days before the power came back on. Apparently there was a huge storm north of Gila Bend and somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 power poles were snapped in two. Wow! Well we moved into emergency preparedness zone and picked up some of the free dry ice they were handing out for the refridgerator and freezer, ate up our ice cream, and went to check on a house-bound neighbor. What a hot adventure! The power came on the next morning thanks to the hard work of the APS crew and I have been appreciating air conditioning like never before.

An Egyptian princess surviving the heat with misters

(I've been reading The Royal Diaries: Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile-57 B.C. to her)

Since then my computer time has been spent binging on a couple of e-mail lists. I'm a member of the radicalunschoolingwithLOA and have been for a while but I haven't checked in on them for many months. I love this group and through my perusing this week I found another group that is a breakoff group from the RU/LOA called Unschoolingmiracles. How simply beautiful. I am so greatful for finding this group. More than once I have done a search for "unschooling, A Course in Miracles" and never really found anything and now a whole group of wonderful people I completely admire. Thank you universe.

It is especially very timely because this week I have been really putting time into letting go of limiting thoughts and beliefs. This has been a topic on the list and I feel less alone in this adventure and learned of a new process that really spoke to me--The Presence Process by Michael Brown. I just ordered his book from the library and also 2 others inspired by the list Arnold Patent's You can have it all and Joe Vitale's Zero Limits, which I was able to get on CD. Here's to listening while I create a Space of Love within my home.

Here's a few neat things that came my way this week:

A Mathematician’s Lament by Paul Lockhart A mathematician laments the way Math is taught in schools. Really good read. Well at least the first page that I read and I do want to finish it sometime soon.

This is a very well done short documentary on the history of schooling in our country.



And another fun movie, this is some absolutely beautiful sand art.





Yesterday was Learn Nothing Day, a holiday to show how hard it is to actually not learn anything. For an amazing post on Learn Nothing Day, go here.

No comments: