Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Jun 30-Joy, Chocolate, and Saguaro Fruit

On Tuesdays, my mom's official hours at the clinic are from 10am-7pm so we were out saguaro fruit picking this morning until 9am. I came home and emptied and filled the dehydrator. Here's the haul so far not bad for a weekend.

Sun-dried saguaro fruit(left), a pile of saguaro fruit leather(right),
and dried tomatoes(behind).


Joyfully, Jazz and I organized and cleaned and played more 10 days in Europe. She is becoming somewhat competent on European geography already. Me I'm so tired of cooking and processing food (I've been putting up tomatoes, corn, and saguaro fruit) and cooking, or uncooking as it may be, two different meals all I wanted was a day of junk food. We went the store and bought chocolate, coffee ice cream, and Kettle chips and I didn't cook a thing. But I got some organizing done and stayed out of the hot kitchen. After more Mind of a Raven and cuddling and chatting with Jazz, I came to computer to blog but instead I went to Path to Freedom and explored. I've been meaning to check it out as I keep seeing it referenced. It' s the site of a family in Pasadena, Californina who are growing a huge amount of food on their small urban lot. They've been doing it quite a while and have inspired a lot of people. Here's a short documentary, Homegrown Revolution, about them.





While I was in this frame of mind, I checked to see if they had The Power of Community:How Cuba Survived Peak Oil on You Tube. They do, at least for now and I'm posting it here in it's own post. It's a very inspiring movie.

No comments: