Sunday, August 9, 2009

Getting Serious About Living Foods

“Living foods create living bodies, dead foods create dead bodies.”
---Dr. Ann Wigmore

Last night I googled "Ashland Oregon, raw foods". I'm enjoying doing research on our new home. In the process I found this website; Allisa Cohen The Raw Food Diet. After reading for a while, I've decided to go as close to 100% raw as possible. Eating raw foods is such an amazing journey; once you start you don't want to stop. I love the vitality and energy I feel. There's nothing like it; I need much less sleep, my outlook on life is better, my mind is clearer. I just feel much more alive.

I've been aiming for 80% living foods but now I'm ready to crank it up. Allisa mentioned in her blog that not having enough raw food around is a problem when moving into a living food diet. This is totally true for me. I had a period of time two or three weeks ago where I was tired of food prep and wasn't making enough. I would get really hungry late at night and eat things that blogged me down and dimmed my light. So today, I spent much of the day in the kitchen making living foods. I'm over complaining about the amount of time it takes--I also cook for my mom who has no interest in going raw--so I am preparing two different meals. I don't care. I want this raw thing bad enough I'm just going to do it with all the joy I can muster--I mean allow.

I haven't posted much about the garden lately, mostly because my energy is now moving forward toward the next thing. I created fabulous gardens for my mom and she is loving them esp the girls (her three chicken). I made her a chicken tractor for Christmas as she really wanted chickens, but didn't have a place for them. We are still getting some things from the garden. Our 105+ degree weather day after day is hard on many plants. Melons and Armenian Cucumbers are some of the survivors.

A French Melon, an Armenian Cuke, and a cup of dried flour corn.

Jazz is planning a dinner she is going to cook for our Locavore friends. She'll grind the corn in the Vitamix and make it into cornbread, using wheat (also ground into flour) that we get in our CSA shares and eggs from our chickens. The corn is long gone from our garden, but a new batch is coming up--in the monsoon garden. Monsoon. What monsoon???? (We've had only one rain and monsoon season is 2/3s over.)

I cut open the seed pumpkins today. Pumpkin season is over here, too, although we have another season for them also in the fall. These are the pumpkins that produce the green tasty seeds you buy at the store. Our vines died before our pumpkins were completely mature so our seeds are a lighter shade of green, but they are delicious.

Pumpkin seeds

Eating melon as we play 10 Days in Europe--a favorite at our house.

No comments: